Friday, October 19, 2007

The next episode

From my many calls, I’d arrived without much joy at the conclusion that big agencies only wanted people with experience. Given that, I figured that smaller agencies couldn’t afford them. This insight formed the basis of Strategy Next.

Out came the telephone directory again, and into it I went. When I surfaced, it was with a list of local agencies. Indian shops which had no MNC hang ups. And no secretaries to Creative Directors, I hoped.

The rounds started again. This time I took the bus routes. Not unexpectedly, both my journeys and my money lasted longer.

One room agencies. Two room agencies. Agencies that ran from home. Agencies that ran from a garage. Full-time agencies. Part-time agencies. I saw them all. But no sign of a job.

Also missing around this time was a social life. I didn’t expect friends to pick up the tab all the time, so I stopped picking up the phone. Incoming was free alright, but I simply couldn’t afford to go out.

It was tough and getting tougher by the day.

Here I was, having spent 4 years at engineering college and a lot of my parents' money in doing so, trying to become a copywriter; while the whole world and their young sons and daughters were writing code, and making big bucks.

Harikrishnan went to the US and became Harry, and incidentally filthy rich as well.

Murugan became Morgan.

Thomaskutty from Kottayam became Tom from Connecticut.

Sindhoori became Mrs. Owens, Mrs. Cindy Owens.

And society became an unbearable place.

The IT brigade had their noses in the air, and an American accent even before a visa interview date was confirmed by the consulate. And when the tickets did arrive, they’d turn up at home with their parents to say goodbye. And of course, to rub it in.

“My son is going to Looosiana”, said our Malayalee neighbour, when I told her I was going to Indiranagar for a job interview.

Such were the nightmares that became my bedtime companions. I wondered many a time if I’d done the right thing, and even convinced myself that I hadn’t. But I couldn’t turn back. Too many bridges had been burnt, and my pride wouldn’t allow a return trip.

My parents were disappointed. But to my good fortune, at some point, they put their frustration aside, and chose to give my advertising hopes a chance. They started asking around. Looking for the elusive contact that might be able to give their boy a break.

It worked.

On October 1, 1996, I had an appointment to meet Mr. K.K. Mathew, the Managing Director of Disha Communications, Bangalore.


Rajesh Rajagopalan said...

been waiting for the next post. can't wait anymore:)

~Happy said...

Nice Rss'd

Anonymous said...

Great blog! What happened after you met Mr. K.K. Mathew? It needs real courage to go after your dream. All the best to you!